Monday, June 20, 2011

SITE'ing It Up!

My first weeks at SITE were awesome. Now that that's clear let me move on to the next few weeks of SITE adventures.

I have been with SITE, starting this Tuesday, five weeks. In that first few weeks at SITE I have meet the staff and artist, met with the lead graphic designer, filmed a event, worked on a design layout for press images, and managed the ever increasing list of auction items.

These past two weeks at SITE have been a little different. Because most of the interns at SITE are not getting paid, crazy right? SITE is providing little event days for interns. On these days we get a one-on-one sit down with a SITE staff member to chat with them and ask questions. We've learned a lot about the life of a museums employee and it's a great way get comfortable with your employers, for me, gain a better respect for them. Also, for these event days we get to go on a field trip. Yay! Our first trip was to meet with an artist from MeowWolf at the CCA and the "Due Return." Ya'll need to check it out.



That week I was asked to help with the design and install of two 46" LED HD Digital Samsung panels. SITE wanted one of the panels to run a scrolling text of "Thank You's" for the donors and members of SITE Santa Fe and the other to have a slide show of images with information of events and up & coming events. So that was my job for a week and half. I had to do some trouble shooting. The best way I knew how to achieve this was through Final Cut or Flash. Because SITE didn't have Fnal Cut and neither do I. I went with Flash, but I had so much trouble with exporting it to Quicktime (SITE doesn't have Flash) I went with Keynote (which only one computer has Keynotes on it and that computer is in the attic.) Needless to say it was a pain to work through all of that but I did. And I installed the panel and had one screen working with the scrolling text. Yet now I'm working on getting the other panel to run the image slide show at the same time as the scrolling text. The photos show the computer system I have to use, the HTMI inputs and what the panels look like with the scrolling text. It's so groovy!

On the Members Opening event at SITE, I worked, not only on the panels but on exporting and installing a image slideshow of the Santa Fe Plaza event for "I Write the Songs." That took a few tries but final got it and it looks great.

For the Free Public Opening I film the artist Suzanne Bocangra's performing art piece "Little Dots." It was tons of fun. Come and check it out on Friday.

I'm not sure what this week might hold for me. I am sure it will be fun and a exciting.

Ps. I hope I can get that dang panels to work right. You got any ideas?

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think you basically landed a dream job straight out of college, hun. That's pretty sick ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a dream job right after you finished your master, wait, no, before you finish. So there :P

    But thanks! I really like this job and what it means for me and our future.

    ReplyDelete