Sunday, June 12, 2011

Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Pot

So life happens and things change, new plans are made, and doors you think are closed open up. That was a brief idea of what went down my last semester at New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU.) The plan was to finish my BFA, relax and do only what I wanted to over the Summer, and then move somewhere to start an MFA program. That didn't happen. So, my husband and I had to make a new plan (which we're still working on) and find jobs. Lucky my husband renewed his job with NMHU (where he teaches english classes) for another year. Him being set it was up to me to find something to - Here's where the door that was closed opened up - AmeriCorps!

A semester or two ago my department, Media Arts, became a part of the AmeriCorps umbrella and started helping students who have graduated or a semester away from graduating find jobs in places (mostly museums) around New Mexico. A lot of great students found great jobs.

I never put much thought into AmeriCorp, mostly because I'd hope to be heading off to my next adventure, out of state. But the plan changed and AmeriCorps was a close door that was cracked and needed to be open. I signed up. And as my final semester came to an end I went out and interviewed at three museums/galleries in Santa Fe, NM. They all sound great but the best one was SITE Santa Fe.

I had worked with SITE on their 7th Biennial in 2008 and really enjoyed that experience. And when SITE wanted to hire me I jumped through that door.

What you might not know about SITE you can find here... CLICK ME.

Pretty cool!

It was like the saying, "Out of the frying pan and into the pot." Meaning I went from finishing my BFA to a trip to LA to finish up a class in AR to work at SITE. I'm not one for slowing down.

My first week was nice, meeting and grating. But that was just the first hour. After that they put me to work. Using Microsoft Excel, which I haven't used in like 4 four years, and importing images into a spreadsheet. Did you know you can put images into a spreadsheet? I didn't. After that first week in External Affairs I got asked to help with some press images packets. Then put in charge of laying out the new 46" LED panel screens with content and images. Since my first day I have meet with the artists who will be featured in the next show, the graphic designer, and the head Philips Curator. I have filmed one event and am scheduled to film a few more before the first of July. All in all this Summer has shaped up in a good way. AmeriCorps was a perfect idea and SITE is so groovy.

I promise that the next few post want be this long, but I'm horrible, I  have to start all my stories from the "In the Beginning" point.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You had to go with the picture that makes SITE look like an adult video store ;-)

    So proud of you, Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job V. So glad to know what you are doing this summer and so glad to know you and Ben aren't going anywhere yet. Keep up the good work. If you have any info for a couple of homeschoolers, we would love to visit your workplace and see what you do. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Handsome!

    Ms Rachel, sorry for not responding sooner, but I'm at SITE almost every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. But Fridays are the day to go. If you want to plan something on a Friday and do a culture day in Santa Fe, I'd love you to show you SITE and maybe the another cool museum or two. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete