Monday, February 6, 2012

"JOB" Almighty!

Every since May 2011 came and went I've been thinking of "what comes next."
Job? Grad school?? Kid??? Another puppy???? Marshmallows?????
After graduating from NMHU Media Arts with my very sexy BFA I enrolled into the AmeriCorps program through the Media Arts intern partnership. I interviewed with the Georgia O'keefe Museum, the Santa Fe Children's Museum and SITE Santa Fe. Landing a nice spot as the Summer intern at SITE Santa Fe in the External Affairs department. I went into that internship with the hope that it'll end up more permeant. Sadly life did not shape the way I'd hope, but it turned out I needed a break.

The break was nice and much needed. I didn't stop searching for that "next thing" though. In fact, I applied for a lot of things since that Summer Internship ended.

And here's the list so far;

Employment:
www.sfreporter.com 
I applied to the Santa Fe Reporter for a intro level Graphic Designer. The job posting just asked that you send in an email with your resume and url, if you have one. I never heard back. It was kind of a long shot but I aimed high.

www.riogallinasschool.org
The position at the Rio Gallinas was for a part time art teacher. I sent an equiring email followed by my resume. I never heard back after that and they hired Nellie Price. Which I was happy for her. So it worked out.

www.luna.edu
Luna was looking for someone to teacher a intro to flash class. I turned this down because I choice to be a part of the Youth Media Projects.


www.santafeopera.org
This 3 part application form, cover letter/email, plus resume, and references was for a intro level social/mobile/web designer for the Santa Fe Opera. An all day applications process that lead to nothing. I figured it just didn't have enough mobile/web under my belt yet, and I mean yet.

Graduate School:
So to prep for grad school application I studied and took the GREs. Not that any of my school require it but for a few schools you get put on the top stack or you can be eligible for academic grants. Since I may never be able to pay off my school loans in this life time, every little bit helps. 
www.newschool.edu
Parsons application process was probably the easiest. It was all online! Super easy! Yet, they wanted to see a lot projects and asked a lot of questions on their application. So that took some time.

www.scad.edu 
If I get into SCAD my life will be perfect! The application process is not very hard. The portfolio is the most important, followed by your statement and the letters of recommendations. I have my figures cross.

www.washington.edu 
The University of WA was by far the most stressful application ever. They wanted everything, resume, statement letter, rec letters, portfolio, everything all mailed together. But you also had to apply online and submit online transcripts for all the schools you every attended. Which I had no way for doing that for the schools I transfered from. In the end this school was the hardest but by doing all of it I was able to use almost everything for the next school.
www.vcu.edu

For VCU the application is all online but they are very picky about what you show in your portfolio. For example, if you are applying for the MFA in Film & Photo
Portfolio Requirement: Submit 20 still images; or a minimum of three recent films or videos for which the applicant has had primary responsibility in production; or a combination of still images and short video clips, not to exceed 20. Image/Video Format: DIGITAL FILES (Online or Mail CD/DVD): Image: Jpeg format only (Quality 12), maximum dimensions of 1280 x 1024 pixels at 72 dpi; file size no larger than 2.0 MB per image. Video: All videos must be formatted in MPEG4 using the H.264 codec at 640×480 pixels with MP3 audio or 48k AIF. Limit the size of your video to 100 MB. Video files should be no longer than three minutes in length. 
You must upload your work to their website and it's very nitpicking. Plus it does take a while to upload your work. So I recommend you give your self a few days before the due date to do it. I had to resize almost all my videos so that they where small enough to upload to their format.

I'm sure I'll be applying to many more jobs maybe even grad schools.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Choose marshmallows!!!

    Also: You would kick ass at any of those jobs and schools. If only the schools could meet you, you'd be using Memphis to fend them off! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love marshmallows! Thanks Unknown! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update:

    I got turned down from the University of Washington and VCU. But got into Parsons and SCAD.

    Hurray!

    Check out my blog "And in This Corner..." To see where I'm going :)

    ReplyDelete